Monday, January 09, 2017

cars

Those that know me know I love cars.  I am a firm believer in the notion that life is too short to drive boring cars.  I find much that I am torn by the talk of self driving cars because wile I fine the technology fascinating (as well as some of the related philosophical questions) I am disheartened to think, to a large degree the love affair with the car is being challenged.  I find it ironic that we are seeing the dueling story-line of self driving cars along side an amazing resurgence in performance cars.

My love affair with the car started when I was young, grade school realy.  My first dream car was a Ford RS200.  I was a limited run car built to qualify it’s entry into the world rally championship.  Now the car was produced in the mid 80’s but thinking back to when I first “saw” it, I must have seen development draws or such.  I can remember the book at school that had a cut-away drawing of the car so you could see the inner frame and roll cage as well as the mounting of the spare tire on top of the mid-engine compartment in the back.  It was an odd looking car even then but I was in love the first time I saw it.  While I remember knowing that it was an almost race car (and 4 wheel drive) I never really knew what a remarkable car it was until looking it up quite a number of years later.  Seems even as a fifth grader, I could pick them.  The RS200 was the fastest accelerating car in the world until well into the 2000’s.  A few become available from time to time even though only 200 were made.


To me cars have always been more than just the tool to get from point A to point B, they are machine and engineering meets art and craftsmanship.  And the are fun 

No comments: