I have in recent month become a big fan of Game of Thrones
on HBO. We got a try subscription of HBO
on Demand in December for 90days and I am trying to get through the entire
series before our time is up (although we have watched quite a few things on
there so we will see.)
The way HBO has adapted the books to the screen has almost
created its own genre of tv seriel. One
only must look at the other subscription only offerings to see shows that
clearly took their stylistic ques from GOT.
On Netflix, you have Marco Polo which was watchable for the two seasons
it lasted. It was so clearly “influenced”
by GOT that you could not help but compare the two and in that like MP did not
do well. It chose that same edgy
approach to sex and violence that GOT did (which is to include as much of it as
one can get away with.) In MP, however
the gore and nudity were at such levels that they were a distraction. Unfortunately, the story was to as well told
as GOT and often I was left wondering which version of the character we were
going to see as their attitudes, temperament and views seemed to change from
episode to episode. I was one of the
oddest bits of writing inconsistencies I have ever seen. The characters themselves were interesting
enough, especially that if Ghingas Kahn, with the exception of Marco Polo
himself who was just not very interesting.
Amazon has its own, albeit different, GOT competitor in Man
in the High Castle. Although it must be
view in the same class, it is a very different type of story and
production. MinHS is much more of a cerebral
story. Although dark and tense
throughout it does so in a clam quiet manner.
Where the other two beat you over the head with the R+ material, Castle
is much more PG with occasional scenes that jump up the ratings meter. The effect of those scene is much more
dramatic than in the other because it lulls the viewer into thinking the is a
safe “regular tv” show before it hammers you with 10-15 seconds that are
clearly not. It is not every episode
either which adds to the tension.
I got thinking about what other books I would love see get
the GoT treatment. I have seen a bit of West
World as well and it seems incredible smart.
I would love to see one of them take on Dune in the same long form
format. The book series is almost tailor
made for it. Foundation would also play
well over the course of several seasons (although the lack of visual drama may
make it tough.) The David Brown books
would have likely done much better in this format that the box office approach
which has gone well unless you just count the ticket receipts. My top wish list would be however the Jim
Butcher “Dresden Files.” While Sci-Fi tried
to make a screen version a few years back it only had limited success in HBO’s
hands however it could be rather amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment