We met shortly after college at a wedding of all
things. She was dating someone else
within my circle of friends. He was not really a friend of mine but rather just
circulated in the same group. Was part
of the same academic department at school as both the bride and groom. Remarkably she and I had not met before especially
as she had been dating Eric for better part of a year by the time of the
wedding that placed us sitting across a table from one another. The remarkable thing is that I can only remember
a few… highlights (for lack of a better word) of that night. I remember Eric sitting down across from me
at the reception trying to illicit some help because he “was surely losing her.” It was an odd conversation for a couple of
reasons not the least of which was that Eric were not at all close and the one
she had been talking with for a fair bit of the evening had been me…
Actually, I need to caveat that because I honestly don’t
recall what I had talked with her about that night (or even if it had been all
that long.) I do distinctly remember that
it was very obvious that she and Eric were not enjoying the evening together
(something to do with Eric not making room reservations even though the wedding
was quite a way from anywhere.) Eric was
darn right pouty about the situation and she was just plane indifferent to him. I didn’t have much help to offer him as,
frankly, I was stunned by her from the moment I a saw her.
I know that sounds very cliché but I can honestly say that I
thought she was “the one” from that night on.
The part of the interaction I recall most was a period of time where we
were sitting at the table together (these were long straight banquet tables and
we were on either side of the table she being slightly to my left.) We were both drinking Champagne. On the table, there were plastic cups of Hershey’s
chocolate kisses. Somehow, while we sat
there and chatted, we began tossing the chocolate kisses at each other.
I remember her
eyes. Her eyes were this vibrant mix of
blues and greens that themselves seemed to be telling you a story with every
glance. To this day (approaching 20
years from then) I can picture one particularly, slightly sideways glance that
followed a chocolate kiss salvo. It was
like in one ever so brief look she let me see her… her strength, her love of
life, her mischievous flirtatious self, along with her fragility and a complexity
that would take me years to really know.
While I knew then that she could be it, I also knew, in one look, that I
was in way over my head.
I don’t see that glimmer too often any more. Nearly twenty years together and the occasional
insights are more familiar and, somewhat, less overwhelming as they were on
that first day. I still know that she is
the one and I still, every once in a while, am reminded that I am still in over
my head but I would not be with anyone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment