So before sitting down to write this evening (for day three
for those of you keeping score at home) I had to take our dog, Oakley, out for
a walk. Oakley is a year and a half old
beagle mix who is a remarkable little dog.
He has developed this “cue” for us when he is ready to go out where he
will walk over to the TV stand in the living room and will tap on the glass
door on the left side. He will then turn
to look at us to ensure that we picked up on his sign and then he will either
wait for our reaction or will begin to tap again. We have no idea where he learned this, why he
thought it would work, why that spot to tap rather than, I don’t know, the
actual door. He just started doing it
one day and has continued ever since.
So as I sat down to write I was summoned by Oakley to take
him for a walk. It is one of those crisp
February evenings here in North Carolina that reminds you that it is indeed
winter but also that you don’t live in a place where it is all that bad. There was a light bit of fog with wisps of
clouds shrouding the moon and planets just enough to soften their light but not
enough to cover them completely. And
around the moon shimmered a perfect, albeit faint halo. I have always found the sight to be one of
wonder ever since the first time I saw it as a boy visiting Lake Geneva in
Wisconsin during a wintery “outdoor education” trip in sixth grade. I can remember little of the trip as vividly
as I can that moon. A harbinger of
worsening weather we were told (a wives’ tail that, like most, has more than a
bit of science backing it up.) That
natural beauty of it burning the image into my brain.
I have never been an overly religious person. While being born, and raised Catholic I
always found myself enchanted by the questions that my inherited faith attempted
to solve for but could never find myself accepting the answers. An affection for science in my youth doomed
my acceptance of the doctrine of Rome.
Later, I went on to study philosophy in college. I found the elegance of the great arguments
compelling but yet not enough to tip my proverbial scales. I particularly liked the Ontological Argument
which simply stated that it was inconsistent for a “perfect God” to not include
existence in her list of traits. While I may have conceded the central point,
I did point out that there were several other traits that would, by their inclusion,
limit the perfect nature of God (not the least of which was the ability to invoke
a will on the rest of us that involved God making choices.) I also enjoyed Pascal’s Wager for believing in God (If you believe and there is no God you are none the worse off but if you don’t
believe and you end up wrong…well.) A compelling
argument where you can’t escape feeling more than a little coerced.
In the end, however, I have so far chosen to simply believe
in the questions. There is so much more
that we don’t know than we do. I have always
had a soft spot for theoretical physics (which is many times closer to
philosophy than to science.) I was
reading the summary of a new book out that was talking about a new area of
physics where the answers are likely not knowable by us. The answers are not inaccessible to us
because of who or what we are but rather that the ability to comprehend the
answers is inconsistent with the world in which we live. It is roughly akin to spending your life’s
work studying how to smell blue. In some
ways, however that is how we all are.
Where did we come from, what happens when we die, what is our purpose
(if any,) why is there evil, tragedy, war, famine, the Kardashians? All those
profound questions that we search for answers to through both science and
religion are likely always going to be outside our reach. That doesn’t mean we should not continue to
search for answers, we should. We should
however also allow others to conduct their own search. And we need to realize that if it is all unknowable,
then the “answers” that others have arrived at may be just as valid as yours.
I love the questions, I really do. And on a cool winter night while walking Oakley
the wonder dog under a haloed moon I can take comfort in that whatever the
right answer is, be it some incarnation of God or complex scientific
constructs, it will be elegant, profound and…. Beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment