Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Rome wasn't built in two days either

Ha... here we are on day 2.  This is a major accomplishment in that I don’t think I have even gotten two actual days in a row in the many times that I have attempted to write more regularly.  I know that is incredibly lame.  (You know what else is lame... the fact that the Blogger writing app does not seem to realize that "i" is not, in fact, a word.  But I digress...) 

Seriously however, I have always been one that liked the idea of writing but could never get the rhythm of it.  For me writing is not particularly cathartic, rather it is sometimes tremendously frustrating (although less so now that word processing has come along (so to speak.))  See I am an atrocious speller. So much so that if I were to allow the words to flow in all their unedited glory, you would surely question my education at a minimum and perhaps even worse.  The effect of not being able to spell particularly well (being generous) it that writing for me it an endless series of fits and starts as I must correct things as I go.  Obviously, this has gotten to be considerably easier as technology has come along but it was not always the case.  Like anything, writing is something that even our early exposures make an impression.  When I was young, spelling was such an insurmountable wall in my path of being able to translate my thoughts into meaningful characters on a page that I came to dread having to do it.  Even as the technology began to become available to help me along, the wall between me and writing had already been built.  Even in college, I remember getting access to one of the first available word processors that corrected spelling and grammar... it was like magic even though the only way you could view the market up document was by printing it out on long sheets of dot matrix printer paper.  (Anyone who has not had to tear of the hole ribbon on both sides of the paper missed out on an important time in the history of technology.)  Even then, once you got the marked-up copy, you then needed to go back to your editable version of your document (which didn't show the mark-ups) and make the corrections the printed version provided.  (It is a small wonder I ever got out of college.  Especially with a very traditional, writing intensive Liberal Arts degree.)

Now however technology has come along as to provided a medium for my thoughts to simply spill out onto the page.  (At some point I am going to try to dictate an entire post to my Google assistant to see how it comes out.  Does that no longer count as writing I wonder???)

When I first began attempting to write, I wanted to use it as an outlet to "vet" or structure trading ideas as I was, at the time, trading over the counter derivatives on behalf a large bank.  Now that I have moved on from that particular vocation (for the time being) that will likely be less of a theme in writing although I suspect I will go back to it from time to time as the interest is always still there.  This opens my available topics to just about anything.  As I mentioned previously, I would like to develop a political "voice" as I am arrogant enough to believe that I have something to offer in that realm but we shall see.  I also would love to attempt in these pages to write fiction of some sort as I cannot honestly remember the last time I even tried to.  That likely will be later but something that I will want to consider.  Anyway... that was it.... a conclusive and successful day two.  Not my best work nor terribly insightful in any way but a completed 500+ words which is the current goal.  Two days does not a trend make but... hell you have to start somewhere. 


Now to go fix all those "i"'s....

No comments: