The suggested topic for yesterday was reflection on reaching
the halfway point in the challenge. It
does seem a worthy topic to spend a bit of time on. To this point I have written 15 days of 500
words or more (except for one day where I fell a hundred or so short.) One average I have been coming in just short
of 600 which doesn’t seem to bad given that prior to this I had not written for
more than a couple consecutive days since college (at least.) I don’t think any of my essays are going to
set the world on fire but that really was not the point this go around. This, as I have said was help build the habit
(and to prove to myself that I could do it.)
Additionally, I had hoped to develop a “voice” that I could use in,
perhaps, a more serious attempt at putting my thoughts out into the ether for
all to see. On this note I seem to be
progressing. The writing is becoming easier
and the thoughts and topics are flowing freer.
I am particularly happy with my product from yesterday. I can honestly say that was the first piece
of pure fiction that I have written since… I couldn’t even recall when (aside
from an occasional haiku when I was trying to give that a shot.) Again, I don’t think it is going to win any
awards but at the same time I was able to translate a picture I had into words
on the page with some level of intricacy and description. Pardon my few moments of pride in my baby
step into a whole different world. Not sure
I will ever follow my cousin into creating entire works of fiction but, then
again, every book started with a page.
I also enjoyed writing my movie review. I may, in fact, try to research doing a
little more of that. I remember writing
a review of a movie we were assigned in my freshman year of college. This predated modern, useful word-processing
so I was left to look words up as a went (which always seemed a ridiculous proposition…
here’s a book of how to do it sorted by the correct answers, how we did
anything else other than prove when we were spelling wrong is proof of man as a
higher being.) I remember never getting
very good grades on the writing assignments up to that point mainly due to
spelling and, occasionally, grammatical errors.
Then came the movie review which, despite my usual smattering of errors,
I received an A+ with a note from the professor that I should consider writing
reviews from the school paper. Funny
that, more than a number of years later, I still remember that movie and the criticisms
I laid out. I was a story of a man who
was born in China and moved to the US, returning as an adult with his family to
the city where he grew up. (Truth be
told, I can’t really recall if it was China or Japan. The context clues I recall leads me to China
but…) The movie wasn’t too terrible but
it wasn’t Citizen Caine either (which was likely the professors intend as it
had just enough rope…) Anyway, I remember
really enjoying writing it… as well as the grade.
Well another day in the books… 570 or so (in 20 minutes.) Not too bad for day 16.
No comments:
Post a Comment